Using iwconfig to generate carrier signals for test?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 2 02:16:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 19:00 -0700, Reginald Perrin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I need to write some test routines for a new piece of hardware using a
> libertas based 802.11 module.  For instance, our manufacturing partner
> is requesting to set the output power, frequency, channel and
> modulation and send data continuously.
>

> I'm digging through some old code which has a lot of these features,
> but was noticing how iwconfig seems to have a lot of these settings
> build-in.  Is there a way to use this as a shortcut?

Hmm, what exactly do you mean by "Carrier signals"?  Do you just want to
change the power, freq, and modulation?  Or is there other stuff?

iwconfig can change many of these settings, but not necessarily all of
them.  It can certainly change frequency/channel and TX power, but
setting the modulation is likely not possible via iwconfig.  It may be
possible to force a modulation by locking the card's bitrate to <=
11Mbit though, not sure about that.

Dan