Marvell W8686 chipset Blackfin problem

Ian Jeffray ian at jeffray.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 14:09:26 EDT 2010

On 23/07/2010 20:41, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 09:46 -0400, Jonathan dumaresq wrote:
>> libertas-dev-bounces at lists.infradead.org wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have something semi-working. I have change the SPI_MODE3 to
>>> SPI_MOD0 and now I get the module connect to the libertas_spi.
>>

>>> When I attemp th eload the module, I got this output:
>>>
>>> root:/>  modprobe libertas_spi
>>> libertas_spi: Libertas SPI driver
>>> libertas_spi spi0.18: firmware: requesting libertas/gspi8686_hlp.bin
>>> libertas_spi spi0.18: firmware: requesting libertas/gspi8686.bin
>>> libertas: spu_wait_for_u16: timeout with val=00, target_mask=00,
>>> target=00
>>> libertas: if_spi_prog_main_firmware: timed out waiting for initial
>>> scratch reg = 0
>>> libertas: failed to load firmware (err=-110)
>>> libertas_spi: probe of spi0.18 failed with error -110
>>
>> I found it. I had use the cozibit firmware and everything worked. I have no
>> idea why, but now everything is working.
>
> So which firmware are you using now that works?  The gspi firmware from
> the linux-firmware git tree are ones I pulled off Marvell's Extranet a
> while back and AFAIK are working but I don't have SPI hardware to test
> with (only CF, USB, and SDIO).

I've had great success finally with SPI on Blackfin using these...
md5sums:
b410ae085ca5b9e539fa82b785becdff  gspi8686.bin
ab1b9b8554094fa5f3d1237d3c557e98  gspi8686_hlp.bin

I can't recall exactly where I got them from mind you.

The one problem was the driver itself.  The latest driver does not
work reliably at all.   I attempted to contact various parties to
explain this some months ago but received no responses.

The changes made by Andrey to remove the buffering caused it to
fail oddly and fail worse as the clock speed was increased.

This is the commit that caused the problem for me:
http://pu.mine.nu/iZPuslaBqD

Revert that, and all is fantastic.

Ian.