xbox wireless network adapter in linux

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Jul 12 23:38:33 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 12:27 +0530, Ram kumar wrote:
> hi,
>
>     I would like to know whether we can support xbox wireless network
> adapter in linux ?
>
> http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnetadapter/default.htm
>
> This xbox wireless network adapter has marvell 8388 controller.

As far as we know, the Xbox wireless controller has a different layout
and does not use the same boot process as the usb8388 support that the
Linux kernel currently has.  We're not sure what firmware it has either.
Basically, when we looked (long ago) we couldn't figure out how to talk
to it, and of course Microsoft wouldn't be very helpful here.

> Any info on how to support xbox wireless network adapter in linux
> using libertas driver will be helpful to me.

It doesn't currently work and wouldn't work in the future without some
investigation.

> And i have seen that the marvell 8388 controller with usb interface,
> support "AP"(access point mode).

It can, but that depends on the firmware.  Marvell hasn't (to my
knowledge) released AP-mode firmware for the 8388.  So the best you'll
get is ad-hoc mode.

Dan