SDIO Performance once again

Sven Neumann s.neumann at phase-zero.de
Mon Feb 9 07:51:21 EST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 17:56 +0100, Dominik S. Herwald wrote:

> right now I am testing Marvell 8686 based Modules connected to the SDIO
> Controller of a Blackfin BF548.
>
> Basically the libertas driver works just fine and stable.
> But the Performance... :-/

Interesting. We are having the contrary experience here. Running a
CM-X300 board, which is a PXA 300 featuring a Marvell 8686 module
connected to the SDIO controller, we are seeing a performance of about
13 Mbits/sec.

Unfortunately this is not stable. Sometimes (rarely on one of the two
boards we have, frequently on the other), there are errors:

libertas: tx watch dog timeout

When this happens it usually takes about six seconds for the module to
recover. During this period nothing is transmitted. At some point,
sooner or later, the following errors shows up:

libertas: command 0x001f timed out
libertas: requeueing command 0x001f due to timeout (#1)
libertas: command 0x001f timed out
libertas: requeueing command 0x001f due to timeout (#2)
libertas: command 0x001f timed out
libertas: requeueing command 0x001f due to timeout (#3)
libertas: tx watch dog timeout
libertas: command 0x001f timed out
libertas: Excessive timeouts submitting command 0x001f

At this point the module stops to work completely and I haven't found a
way to recover from this. The system then needs to be restarted.

We are using linux-2.6.29-rc4 currently, but observed the same problems
with linux-2.6.26. The firmware version is 8.73.7p3. I have also tried
the 9.70.3 firmware, that didn't help either.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any ideas what I could try to
get some more debug output from the driver?

Sven