Marvell 88W8388 USB Development

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Dec 25 18:15:35 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 01:38 +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Dne So 26. prosince 2009 00:21:35 Vidur Bhargava napsal(a):
> > Hi. Sorry for the mass email.
> >
> > OLPC XO-1 uses the Marvell 88W8388 USB. I want to contribute to the
> > libertas driver for this chipset.
> >
> > Could you please suggest any 88W8388 USB devices/prototypes that I
> > could use on my Linux laptop? Thanks.
> Hi, there was an XBOX wifi dongle that had 88W8388. You can try buying that one.

It has a custom firmware.  Don't bother; it won't actually work.

Unfortunately, there aren't any usb8388 dongles available to the general
public.  About the best you can do is ask OLPC to send you some of the
development dongles if they have any left.

But in any case, any help on the libertas fullmac driver would be much
appreciated.  There's a lot to do, starting mainly with ensuring that
Holger's cfg80211 conversion is solid and regression-free.  That
involves simply a lot of testing.

Dan