rmmod libertas_sdio and reinsert causes problems with firmwareupload.

Johan Adolfsson Johan.Adolfsson at axis.com
Tue Sep 2 17:11:41 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Williams" <dcbw at redhat.com>
To: "Jonathan Cameron" <jic23 at cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <libertas-dev at lists.infradead.org>; "Pierre Ossman"
<drzeus-mmc at drzeus.cx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: rmmod libertas_sdio and reinsert causes problems with
firmwareupload.

> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 18:19 +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
>> Hi Pierre,
>> >
>> > *snip*

>> > You might want to try this here:
>> >
>> > sdio_func_disable(card->func);
>> > sdio_func_enable(card->func);
>> >
>> > Possibly also with a slight delay between the two. If the chip is
>> > sanely designed, that should power down everything but the SDIO
>> > frontend.
>> No luck unfortunately.
>>
>> I'm still getting a time out when I try to read the scratch pad after
>> doing
>> this.
>>
>> Can someone with the relevant firmware docs (anything more recent that
>> 5.1
>> - using 9.70.3) confirm the form of the command is correct.
>>
>> The command definition in hostcmd.h has an action field whereas the 5.1
>> firmware spec claims there are no data fields at all.  Would make life
>> easier
>> to know which is correct
>
> That field isn't set with the 8.0 GPL drivers and I think it's a
> holdover from earlier firmware.  I'm pretty sure it's no longer used.

Ack, it's not present in the doc for firmware 9 either.
The doc says to wait at least 100 ms before trying to reload the firmware.

I have some similar(?) issues when trying to reload the modules,
even though I attempt to pull the hardware reset line.
Marvell have some app notes and errats explaining some issues with reset
and the critical timing related to the hardware reset.

/Johan