Libertas Driver Locking Kernel

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Fri May 23 03:25:58 EDT 2008

> Trying wireless-testing as well as the driver from 2.6.25-4
> both resulted in kernel panics from null pointers.

I'm very interested in this kernel panic because of NULL
pointers.

Because many different firmwares from unspecified sources with
unspecified *) changes are floating around, we must treat the
data that the firmware sends us in (e.g. command responses) like
data coming from userspace. That is, we must check everything
and sanitize/discard things which are in formats unknown to us.
Never ever should the libertas driver make a NULL pointer or
panic because of one.

*) Maybe you can see a log of the firmware versions on the
Marvell customer Intranet, but last year they didn't grant me
access to the intranet. Two days ago someone in my company again
tried to get into the Marvell Intranet. Let's see if they are
more helpful this time compared to one year ago.