Marvell 88w8335 [Libertas]

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Wed Mar 19 06:24:03 EDT 2008

> The module loads (does not bail out in the interrupt handler)
> and creates the devices:
> It is not yet fully working, however. The card does not seem
> to react on the scanning/set_channel commands:

This mailing list is more for the 838x chips, but we don't have a
problem with occassional 833x e-mail traffic here.

However, my advice is the following: As long as the driver's home
is on some "obscure" tar files, it will always suffer from
bitrot and not-so-much contribution by third partis. So aim to
bring the driver into the linux kernel. Talk with John W.
Linville on the linux-wireless mailing list about this.
http://linuxwireless.org should give you pointers. For drivers,
sometimes Linux accepts even not-so-good-code, when there is a
chance that the beast get's better via re-factoring over time.

When if_cs.c went into the in-kernel-libertas driver, a few
people that I never heard of found errors or sent bugfixes.

Second advice: I think the BSD people (FreeBSD possible) have a
m8k driver in their kernel tree. As I have heard, this beast
actually works. So either look there for inspiration or try
*BSD, pepper the code with debug printks and try to understand
the differences between their code and the current linux code.