Diversity mode on 8385

Cyril HAENEL chaenel at free.fr
Fri Mar 7 12:17:41 EST 2008

Hi all,

Some weeks ago I talking about my 8385 based embedded wifi module and my
blackfin processor (bf537). The customer has some issues but I think
they don't come from the driver but from their cable/antenna.

But I have some interrogation :
The wifi module has 2 connectors (J1 and J2) for antennas. In my
project, I only use one antenna (J1). I looked in the firmware
specification, and I seen a specific command to configure antennas mode
: CMD_802_11_RF_ANTENNA (page 39)

I looked in the driver source, this command is defined in host.h, but
not used in the driver.
Anyone know the default value of the antenna mode in the 8385. Probably
diversity mode, right ?

Because I only have one antenna connected on the module, do you think
it's better to configure the antenna mode to have Tx and Rx on J1 only ?
Normally it will be better for the RF amplifier to not send power on an
antenna which is not connected ? And maybe I will have better reception ?

I think iwconfig don't have the ability to configure this kind of
parameter, so if I decide to implement this command and select the
antenna mode for example just after firmware download, what can be the
better solution to indicate the mode we want ? A parameter when we load
the module ?

Another question, is someone works on the deep sleep mode of the 8385,
which can be done when the user do a ifconfig ethx down ? If yes, I will
be interested to participate because I need this fonctionnality. If not,
it will be great if someone give me some advises to do that !

Regards,
Cyril

--

Cyril Haenel