Libertas power saving mode?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 14:40:40 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 08:14 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > And why it is not possible to use power save mode when the
> > mesh is on?
>
> When you're associated to an AP, you know then the AP sends it
> beacon. In the beacon, the APs tell you if they have data for
> you or not. So you can say "Ok, now I sleep for 95 ms, because
> then the next beacon is due". Then you wake up, waiting for the
> beacon. If in this beacon there's marker "New data for you!",
> you sleep again. Otherwise, the firmware sends a "I'm awake"
> packet to the AP and get's up.
>

> In a mesh you don't beforehand when data cames in. You could
> theoretically sleep as well, but then data for or throught you
> will simply be discarded.
>
> You could change your mesh protocol so that you can tell your
> neightbors that you're sleeping, so that they would buffer your
> packets while you sleep. But I'm not sure if this copes well
> with a self-reorganizating mesh network.

And the best part is that the mesh interface is currently (as designed)
on _all_ the time, if possible.  If we're connected to an infrastructure
AP, then we turn on the mesh interface and start a mesh portal on it,
and bridge/NAT the traffic between ethX and mshX.  So unless we no
longer do that, we can't ever use powersave mode I guess.

Dan