Linville update wireless-2.6/everything

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Dec 4 11:31:18 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 11:21 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > It also causes pain for me if I intend to _continue_ working on libertas
> > after 2.6.25, rewriting more and more parts of it individually until
> > there's none of the original bsMarvellCode left. Because you destroy the
> > commits in my tree and you send different commits upstream.
>
> Well, then you get to fix up the differences and do a merge commit
> before Linville pulls from you after you've sent the pull request.
> Which would normally happen anyway of course.  The last thing Linville
> needs is _more_ merge work.

Absolutely. That's how it works when we're using git, of course.

But when my tree contains a bunch of commits, which I want upstream --
and in the process of going upstream all my commits are destroyed and
replaced with completely different commits which just happen to be the
same 'patch', then when I pull from upstream I have a complete mess,
with each 'patch' having been committed twice, and turning up in two
separate commits.

In that case, I can't just pull from upstream -- I have to throw away
everything and start again. Which is fine if I wanted to live in the
1990s and use stacks of patches, I suppose -- but I wanted to use git,
because I've heard git actually enables a really useful development
model and flow of changesets :)

--
dwmw2