getscanlist command redundant?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 16 21:20:14 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 08:22 +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 20:46 -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > I still fail to see the purpose of a specific SSID scan? Like I said, one can simply
> > scan all available SSID's and look for a particular one in that list.
>
> Can't you do an active scan for a specific SSID, which will show results
> even when a passive scan would not? If the AP is not broadcasting?

Right; a specific SSID scan actually sends Probe frames out with that
SSID in the frame, which the AP of that SSID is required to respond to.
A passive scan does not do this because it's passive.  And for a
non-SSID specific Probe frame, I'm not sure all APs that hear it are
required to respond, whereas I'm fairly sure they if they see their own
SSID in the Probe request.

So it does have a pretty important use.

Dan