[LEDE-DEV] [Feature Request]Discussion - Move everything to Namespaces?

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Tue Oct 17 17:32:21 PDT 2017

Hi there;

As a long time Openwrt -nee Lede user and sometimes bug reporter; I've been
maintaining my own forks and builds for several different purposes for 10+
years now. I've gotten a lot out of the project personally and
professionally and would just like to thank everyone for their
contributions.

When ip net namespaces were first introduced they were a sometimes solution
to a sometimes problem, manually coaxed into life on an adhoc basis.
However in the last 3 years I have increasingly come to the conclusion that
they are now the workhorse of linux routing for the most part.

As I increasingly move to VNF (virtualised network functions) deploying
Lede images to openstack or similar to provide complex routing
functionality,  it's become apparent the lack of standardized namespace
schema inside luci and uci  to be exposed and used by default has made lede
a bit of a burden to handle from a support perspective.

I would like to open a discussion with the wider community and main dev's
about potentially moving towards standardized and across the board use of
namespaces for most-part of core lede functionality.

So before I start rattling off the use cases I want to know if there are
any Yay or Nay sayers to moving things to namespaces and off the default
routing table?

Kind regards

-Joel
@aenertia on the tweeters