[LEDE-DEV] convention on uid/gid for packages

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Mon May 15 07:41:59 PDT 2017

On 15 May 2017 at 09:46, Yousong Zhou <yszhou4tech at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 May 2017 at 21:07, Val Kulkov <val.kulkov at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Just woke up from the weekend.
>>> I recommend trying this out [based on lldpd] :
>>> https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile#L35
>>> We use lldpd and this seems to work ; lldpd does some priv separation.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>
>> Alexandru, the USERID:= construct works really well, but my question
>> was about the convention to avoid conflicts while picking numbers for
>> new UID and GID. For example, icecast and postfix both use 87 for a
>> new UID they create.
>>
>> I think the links to FreeBSD's UID and GID lists that Daniel provided
>> are indeed an excellent source of inspiration. We should a Wiki page
>> with a similar content.
>>

> If it's only about allocation of uid/gid without collision, then the
> default_postinst() func will just do that [1], e.g.
> USERID:=icecast:icecast
>
> I do not know of any service checking non-root username of its
> effective uid/gid and quit if they fail expectation.  The other thing
> is that if we allow auto-allocation with default_postinst and preserve
> /etc/{passwd,group} across sysupgrade, then the global allocation of
> uid/gid may not work out because those slots may already be taken up
> by the auto-allocation happen prior of time...
>
>  [1] https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/3150#discussion_r83354888

The auto-allocation of uid/gid emulates useradd/groupadd, picking the
first unused uid/gid starting from 100. This works quite well on its
own, but there are about three dozen packages in the packages repo
that come with hardcoded uid/gid's:

find -L package/ -name Makefile -exec grep 'USERID:=' {} \;

produces 35 or so lines indicating the assignment of hardcoded uids and gids.

At present, if someone installs five packages that use the
auto-allocation mechanism, uids 100-105 will be taken by the
auto-allocation mechanism (101 is already taken by 'network'). After
that, attempting to install the 'avahi' package will result in a
conflict:
   USERID:=avahi=105:avahi=105

IMO such conflicts can and must be avoided. Perhaps the easiest way to
avoid such conflicts is to maintain a list of uid/gid allocation (a la
FreeBSD) and have a policy in place regarding the allocation of new
uid/gid's. For example, the 1-999 range may be reserved for services
and starting from 1000 for regular users. IMO this is an important
step forward in creating a resilient package space environment.