[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu May 11 22:18:14 PDT 2017

On Fri, 12 May 2017, Eric Luehrsen wrote:

> For example, rule (7) says all votes and decisions will be public but it
> lacks a formal expression that some decisions (intermediate term) need
> confidentiality. How do you handle bidding for services or inquiries by
> sponsors? "Time Limited Confidentiality" is a necessity but uncovered by
> the rules it becomes what we call in process engineering "hidden
> factory." It erodes the value of the rule and evolves into an excuse to
> ignore the rule.

I don't see any reason why they can't wait until they have such a decision to
make before they set rules for secret decisions.

> For example, rule (10) contentious email clause could be dealt with
> maybe if rule (12) had more details and more teeth. What if rule (12)
> put a higher order of behavioral expectations on voting members. Would
> that permit personally named email accounts with the project domain to
> be given for the purpose of representing the project in upstream
> commits? What if a new rule was added that all email between the project
> and outside individuals or organizations is cc: to an archive? This
> archive would be made public, only redacting unfinished business for
> short time as I mentioned for updates to rule (7). Would this calm
> people down?

As I understand things, your proposals undermine the purpose of rule 10. They
specifically do not want people submitting things to upstream projects under the
name of the project, they want such submissions to be by the individual without
involving the project.

There should be no difference between the submission to an upstream project
between submitting it as david at lang.hm and david.lang at openwrt.org, so why imply
that there is a difference by handing out @openwrt.org addresses.

This is one of the things that caused the fork, so such addresses are not to be
used.

The remerge negotiations aren't doing a hard cut-off for the existing
@openwrt.org addresses, but are drastically reducing their utility. They will
either be simple redirects to the person's personal address (with no outgoing
use of the @openwrt address), or they will be mailing lists that any voting
member can subscribe to (I've seen both mentioned, I am not sure the exact
details). But in any case, no new @openwrt addresses will be given out to
people, and those who have them will not be using them as source addresses for
performing acts on behalf of openwrt.

David Lang