[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Daniel Engberg daniel.engberg.lists at pyret.net
Mon May 8 12:00:44 PDT 2017

Hi,

Great seeing progress being made!

I read the proposal and think it's overall good but I think some things
should should have a slightly more direct approach.

Domain:
I might be misunderstanding here but why not reach out to gandi.net for
providing DNS servers instead of maintaining it by yourself?
https://www.gandi.net/supports/

When you decide to merge, obsolete the LEDE-domains as quickly as
possible. Having multiple working URLs is just going to slow down the
migration in the end.

Github:
Deprecate LEDE repo as soon as possible, having multiple trees isn't
going to be beneficial for anyone in the end. Preferably do a code
freeze (tree) and merge/review all open PRs and reject new ones until
all are reviewed and processed. That's probably a nicer way of handing
contributions rather than asking everyone to resubmit for both trees.

A way for handing code submission/patches needs to be in place before
unfreezing the tree, the current LEDE way of multiple unsynced code
submission paths isn't very efficient. While I do understand that some
prefer patchwork it's not ideal and I think it's safe to say that having
something more user friendly certainly is beneficial in general. I know
that some doesn't like Github however submissions should be synced for
both platforms in some way or perhaps start using something like
Phabricator might be a good tradeoff?

Trac:
Is it really worth keeping trac at all? What value does it add? Just
display a page explaining that it's shutdown and forward to OpenWrt?

Wiki:
Do a freeze, continue using the LEDE one and let
maintainers/contributors review and merge useful information from the
OpenWrt (a lot is dated/inaccurate) and close the OpenWrt one.

Forums:
Let active maintainers/moderators decide which to use, freeze the old
one and add a banner at the top of each page. Grace period ~1w or so

Best regads,
Daniel Engberg