[LEDE-DEV] RFC: files included in initramfs images

Mathias Kresin dev at kresin.me
Thu May 4 11:46:33 PDT 2017

Hey Daniel, Hey Thomas,

following my toughs regarding backports of commits to stable.

04.05.2017 17:53, Daniel Golle:
> When it came to backport this to lede-17.01 I noticed that several
> boards have been added to master since and are not yet present in the
> lede-17.01 branch. Also the ZBT WG3526 has been split-up into a
> 16MB flash and 32MB flash variant and Digineo AC1200 Pro has been
> renamed/merged with ZBT-WG3625-16M.

The reason why I haven't merged the (ramips) commits to the stable
branch is my understanding of the dot releases. From my point of view
the dot releases are bugfix releases and I will not add new features or
improvements as long as they do not fix bugs. Especially since the plan
is to release a major version every six month.

But we do not have any written rules regarding backports and/or commits
to stable branches. In the end, it is up to each developer to commit
what he is the opinion is the best for a dot release.

> Should I cherry-pick all added boards to lede-17.01, including the
> rename of the Digineo device?
> Or just backport the commit changing the default packages from master
> and skip the boards which are not preset in lede-17.01 (which obviously
> makes future backporting of the commits adding those boards harder)?

Most likely not really surprising, but I prefer to not backport any of
the mentioned commits and focus on stabilisation/bugfixing instead.

Mathias