[LEDE-DEV] how to make sysupgrade not drop user-installed packages

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Tue Jan 10 14:41:30 PST 2017

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 08:38:04PM +0100, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Right now it cannot be provided unless we provide suitable meta data for
> that on the server side or - preferably - inside the image itself.

i actually had that typed out already, but deleted it because it seems
like a complete no-brainer to me. there doesn't appear to be anything
hard about having the build bots include a file into /etc which contains
the _current_ repository url, subdirectory, and image name.

whenever the de-facto policy changes in an ordered way, there should be
a transition phase where the images are available at both locations, but
already point to the new one.

and when the download fails because the policy changes unexpectedly (or
the user neglected to trigger the process for too long), the interactive
variant of the tool can just ask for the information it found outdated.
even in this worst case, that system is still *a lot* more convenient
(and thus less likely to contribute to unpatched CPEs) than what exists
now.