[LEDE-DEV] procd question, something causing high cpu usage

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Tue Jan 10 11:00:44 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 04:33:02PM +0100, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 11:58:26PM +0100, Sebastian Kemper wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm running LEDE git from yesterday (but also observed this on an older
> > git revision from a few weeks back) on a small mips router. When I start
> > freeswitch compiled without libedit via procd, CPU usage goes up to a
> > 100% percent. When freeswitch is compiled with libedit on the other
> > hand, everything seems fine.
> >
> > Also, when I start the libedit-less freeswitch from the command
> > line/shell, all is fine, too.
> >
> > When I set the logging to syslog (procd_set_param stdout 1), then
> > logread shows this all the time:
> >
> > Mon Dec 19 23:17:12 2016 daemon.info freeswitch[3495]: freeswitch at hank2>
> > Mon Dec 19 23:17:12 2016 daemon.info freeswitch[3495]: freeswitch at hank2>
> > Mon Dec 19 23:17:12 2016 daemon.info freeswitch[3495]: freeswitch at hank2>
> > Mon Dec 19 23:17:12 2016 daemon.info freeswitch[3495]: freeswitch at hank2>
>
> What is the behaviour of freeswitch when you launch it directly from the
> command-line?  Does it give you a prompt, or does it just run in the
> foreground without printing anything?

Hi Baptiste,

It gives a prompt.

> If freeswitch expects an interactive terminal to accept user commands,
> it's most likely the cause of the issue, because procd does not provide
> this.  If that is the case, maybe disabling the interactive prompt in
> freeswitch could help?

Yes, but as this only happens when FS is compiled without libedit, I
don't think it's the prompt per se.

And yes, when I disable the prompt by calling it with -nc (no console)
and -fg (no fork) then there's no issue with CPU consumption. It's just
that procd really wants the console output, which is nice because you
can put it into logd if you want.

But for now the workaround will do.

Thanks!
Sebastian