[LEDE-DEV] Adding new targets/subtargets

Jo-Philipp Wich jo at mein.io
Mon Jan 2 09:08:08 PST 2017

Hi,

> Pruning useful subtargets to solve a buildbot resource shortage seems
> like taking a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

Saving resources was only one of the considerations to cut back the
amount of sub targets.

The introduction of per-device/per-profile rootfs support in LEDE
allowed us to build images with a different package selection per device
so sub targets that merely selected different kmods become completely
needless.

> Why not instead just add a profile attribute like:
>
> BUILDBOT_BUILD_ME:=no

Because we want to have complete coverage. Experience has shown that
untested subtargets quickly become stale and broken.

~ Jo