[LEDE-DEV] Is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE (WiFi Range Extender) ?

Dennis Schneck dennisschneck at web.de
Sun Feb 19 03:59:36 PST 2017

thanks at ALL
i will try if i got the device back ( hope the follwing week )

Gesendet: Sonntag, 19. Februar 2017 um 12:51 Uhr
Von: "Piotr Dymacz" <pepe2k at gmail.com>
An: "Daniel Golle" <daniel at makrotopia.org>
Cc: "Alberto Bursi" <alberto.bursi at outlook.it>, "lede-dev at lists.infradead.org" <lede-dev at lists.infradead.org>, "Dennis Schneck" <dennisschneck at web.de>
Betreff: Re: [LEDE-DEV] Is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE (WiFi Range Extender) ?
Hello,

[...]

>> Maybe a similar one that does what the "force enable wifi" script did
>> would do the trick?
>
> Well, it's not as simple as that. We need to generate a config for
> hostapd which matches the wifi hardware in terms of capabilities and
> band and launch it and bring up the interface (configure IP address and
> stuff) once hostapd comes up... possible, but quite a lot of work...

If we assume that the problem is only inside wrong configuration
applied to the device, reverting it back to the defaults (I assume
here that default config for devices without Ethernet interface means
also that the Wi-Fi is enabled by default) should be enough to bring
back device to life.

For devices without Ethernet/serial access, with our current approach,
button (if there is any at all...) is the only interface left between
the user and the system. What if we make use of it inside running
failsafe mode and allow to initiate "firstboot"/"factory reset" based
on button state, like we already do inside the "regular" system mode
[1]?

Of course, for devices without Ethernet interface, serial access and
button... Wi-Fi inside failsafe mode would be the only way.

Dennis, please take a look also here, where support for TL-WA854RE v2
was discussed: [2].

There was also a discussion about buttons which have more than one
function assigned in vendor's firmware: [3].

[1] https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/package/base-files/files/etc/rc.button/reset#L23
[2] https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/808#issuecomment-279686189[https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/808#issuecomment-279686189]
[3] https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/812#issuecomment-279342644[https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/812#issuecomment-279342644]

---