[LEDE-DEV] Switching to upstream binutils for ARC

Alexey Brodkin Alexey.Brodkin at synopsys.com
Tue Feb 7 08:46:09 PST 2017

Hi Felix,

On Tue, 2017-02-07 at 10:43 +0100, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> I will soon push a change to switch to binutils 2.27 by default. It
> seems that since 2.26, binutils has gained support for ARC.
> Can we get rid of the ARC specific binutils version then, or does it
> still have some important changes that are not upstream yet?

Indeed as of today we have almost everything ready for usage of upstream
binutils as well as in GCC.

But all that might be pretty fragile because we still mostly use rather
heavily patched forks (basically upstream masters + not-yet-upstreamed stuff).

That said I would prefer to move ARC to upstream binutils and GCC myself.
I'm pretty sure I'll need to add a number of not-yet-upstreamed patches
for both binutils and GCC and obviously that will be much easier for me.

Let me take a look how broken it is without extra patches and we will
see how to proceed with it.

-Alexey