[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] MT7620A WiFi issue - with a twist!

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Feb 5 08:37:07 PST 2017

Hi Alberto,

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 02:27:06PM +0000, Alberto Bursi wrote:
> On 02/04/2017 07:11 PM, Daniel Golle wrote:
> > As a response to the many issues and obvious code quality problems in
> > the patch adding support for MT7620 to rt2x00 I started a kickstarter
> > project to fund an afternoon or two (depending on the amount people
> > throw into my hat) of focussing on rt2x00 running on MT7620:
> >
> > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1327597961/better-support-for-mt7620a-n-in-openwrt-lede
> >
> Might be a good idea to send a mail to Micheael Larabel, the guy running
> Phoronix.com (linux-oriented news and benchmarks site), so he can write
> an article to raise awareness for that kickstarter project.
> http://www.phoronix-media.com/?k=contact
> Or other linux-oriented news sites that might be interested.

It's the first time I'm trying to get work compensated by the community
and I'm not sure whether kickstarter is the right way to go -- though
I've written clearly that the initial goal would cover one night of
hacking on rt2x00 and additional funds would pay for additional hours,
I'm not sure whether everyone got that. Maybe I'll just need to stop
at some point today, because by now, I've been working on MT7620-
related stuff for more hours than I'd ever work for that amount of
money. Surely, my motivation isn't purely economic in that case, I
actually have some idealistic and educational goals as well, which is
also why I started upstreaming the rt2x00 patches. However, I also
don't want to leave the impression that I'd work for less than minimum
wage on stuff which I'm only capable of doing because I've been hacking
on kernel code for something like a decade by now. And as it looks like
right now, this can work for a weekend, but cannot become a habbit,
simply because I can't afford that luxury if it only pays the minimum
I've been asking for initially -- probably I just need to create new
projects on kickstarter for each phase of work, but that also seems
like a lot of overhead given that I'd rather work on code than spending
time on a rather annoying JavaScript-application running in my browser
and eating half of the RAM of my machine...

So if you now any better method or service than kickstarter which
allows me to follow the street-musician-protocol while hacking on
FOSS code, that'd be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel