[LEDE-DEV] Question of replacing mountd with blockd

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 11:48:06 PST 2017

Hi,

looking at:
commit 7e4b869c45138 ("fstools: add blockd")
commit 6a772cb953c4c ("mountd: drop in favour of blockd")
I'd expect blockd to provide the same functionality as mountd did. I
don't think it's the case though.

With mountd installed (e.g. in LEDE 17.01) plugging in USB storage
device with partition(s) using supported filesystem they were
auto-mounted on /tmp/run/mountd/. That was handled by mountd and its
mount_enum_drives function scanning /sys/block/ every second.

I don't see support for anything like this in blockd. It seems to me
that all it does is providing autofs support for the user space. It
doesn't seem to contain support for auto-discovering plugged devices,
mounting them or sending hotplug.d mount notifications.

Can someone help me understand this, please?

--
Rafał