[LEDE-DEV] Using stable wireless/kernel but trunk userspace/kernel

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Tue Apr 4 22:59:32 PDT 2017

On 2017-04-05 02:14, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if there is an easy way to use trunk userspace with the stable
> release's wireless (and if necessary the rest of the kernel).  The reason I
> ask ask is that at this time my primary concern with doing dog-fooding with
> things I develop for LEDE is that I can end up with wireless compliance
> issues (and/or not able to use wifi due to problems, but that's a lesser
> concern since I can fall back to wired on most devices where it matters).
> I've been reassured that my contributions are still welcome, so if I can
> resolve that slight hiccup, I think LEDE is the way to go for ar71xx devices
> (otherwise just not use ar71xx).
One thing you should consider is that since we still have kernel 4.4 on
ar71xx, by switching to the in-kernel wireless stuff you will end up
adding back a sizeable amount of bugs that have been fixed in the
out-of-tree package.
What kind of wifi issues are you looking into? Maybe I can help get
those fixed.

- Felix