[LEDE-DEV] Documentation for router support means the famous Table of Hardware

Thomas Endt tmo26 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 14 12:00:02 PDT 2016

> On a related note I wonder if anyone ever thought about joining forces
> with WikiDevi?

Indeed, I already thought about this long ago. That's the reason why I
implemented the link to wikidevi in the dataentry pages. wikidevi provides
usefull data, and in fact, more data and more detailed data than we have in
our ToH. The big advantage of wikidevi: It has a broader spectrum of
potential contributors. Not only OpenWrt / LEDE users might be interested to
contribute to wikidevi, but also DD-WRT or other interested users.

That's also the reason why I advised: If the device is not supported by
OpenWrt, feed your data to wikidevi, where it has a broader audience which
could contribute.

However, as you mentioned, the guy(s) at wikidevi are hard to catch. But
since I didn't think it to the end, we should first make up our minds how
the "joined forces" could look like and what we expect from it.

What I was thinking back then: The ToH contains much technical information
from wikidevi, plus some OpenWrt specific like 'Current supported release'
or 'Unsupported (e.g. wifi not working)' and some more. Why do we need to
copy the technical information from wikidevi in our ToH? Can't we directly
pull from the wikidevi database?

And also the other way round: wikidevi has already some links to OpenWrt...
Can't wikidevi pull directly from our ToH database to always have the latest
data on OpenWrt support?

The same applies to techinfodepot.info. They actively have included OpenWrt
in their dataentry. Nice!
(e.g. http://techinfodepot.info/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900AC)

My expectations:

1) By using wikidevi as source for hardware information, we can participate
in the knowledge of a broader audience than OpenWrt/LEDE has alone.
-> Less maintenance efforts for the LEDE wiki admin
-> Faster input of missing hardware information through broader audience

2) By providing LEDE support status information to other websites, LEDE
shows presence and gives the user a convenient information at hand, that his
device is supported by LEDE, together with a link on how to install etc
(a.k.a. devicepage).

Comments are welcome!

Thomas