[LEDE-DEV] overlayfs + ubifs: power cut results in "failed to create directory /overlay/work/work (errno: 17); mounting read-only"

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 05:56:44 PDT 2016

On 6 September 2016 at 14:50, Miklos Szeredi <miklos at szeredi.hu> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:
>> Rafał,
>>
>> On 06.09.2016 12:46, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In LEDE/OpenWrt we use UBI with two volumes: "rootfs" and "rootfs_data". With
>>> rootfs mounted at / we mount rootfs_data volume at /overlay and then use
>>> overlayfs to combine these two.
>>>
>>> 1) Before:
>>> /dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
>>> /dev/ubi0_1 on /overlay type ubifs (rw,noatime)
>>>
>>> 2) Mounting overlayfs
>>> mount("overlayfs:/overlay", "/mnt", "overlay", MS_NOATIME, "lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work")
>>>
>>> 3) After:
>>> /dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
>>> /dev/ubi0_1 on /overlay type ubifs (rw,noatime)
>>> overlayfs:/overlay on /mnt type overlay (ro,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work)
>>>
>>> It works fine as long as there aren't unexpected power cuts. I can easily break
>>> it in a well-reproducible way by doing:
>>> date > bar.txt && rm foo.sh
>>> sleep 2s
>>> [power cut]
>>>
>>> On the next boot LEDE/OpenWrt script calls the same mount function but it
>>> results in:
>>> [   10.017235] overlayfs: failed to create directory /overlay/work/work (errno: 17); mounting read-only
>>>
>>> I tracked that error and got a following forward trace for it:
>>> ovl_fill_super
>>> ovl_workdir_create
>>> ovl_cleanup
>>> vfs_rmdir
>>> ubifs_rmdir
>>> check_dir_empty
>>>
>>> In other words mounting overlayfs fails because ubifs refuses to remove
>>> work/work as this directory is not empty. On a clean boot /overlay/work/work is
>>> empty and everything works fine but after a power cut I can see
>>> /overlay/work/work/#c752f2a8 file.
>>>
>>> I don't really know anything about overlayfs and its workdir, I just expected
>>> overlayfs to recover from such situation on its own. FWIW after a power cut and
>>> reboot my bar.txt is an empty file and foo.sh still exists.
>>>
>>> Does it sound like an overlayfs issue to you? Can you think of some way of
>>> fixing this?
>>
>> overlayfs does not issue a recursive rm on workdir, AFAICT you are supposed to cleanup
>> workdir yourself before mounting.
>> Miklos?
>
> Fixed in 4.8-rc5 by
>
> eea2fb4851e9 ("ovl: proper cleanup of workdir")
>
> I think it's better if kernel does the cleanup, but if it's easier to
> upgrade userspace, then that's a valid workaround.

Oh, this should solve my problem! It seems it didn't git stable
kernels yet, but I can backport it on my own for now.

Thanks!

P.S.
Interesting part:
> While this has never been reported, it is possible to get a non-empty
> "work" dir from a previous mount of overlayfs in case of crash in the
> middle of an operation using the work directory.
Funny to hit never-reported problem right after someone (Miklos) fixed it ;)

--
Rafał