[LEDE-DEV] kernel: remove switch driver kmod packages

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Sep 1 09:20:34 PDT 2016

On 09/01/2016 09:00 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2016-09-01 17:00, Tim Harvey wrote:
>> Felix,
>>
>> In a5c32a1f1996f4f75504c4a9abd1c99eaa598df1 you removed
>> kernel/linux/modules/dsa.mk claiming that targets needing switch
>> drivers should select them in their kernel configs thus preventing
>> bloat creeping into targets that don't need switchdev/dsa.
> Right.
>
>> What that implies is that every target board of a given target arch
>> gets bloated. For example, for the imx6 targets there are wandboard
>> and ventana. Ventana can benefit from switchdev/dsa (if the user is
>> using a GW16083 expansion card I might add - the switch is 'not' on
>> the baseboards) but for Wandboard including switchdev/dsa in the
>> kernel config is bloat.
> In my opinion, nobody really cares about a tiny bit of kernel bloat for
> the Wandboard. That device is not exactly space constrained.
>
>> Is there some way that I'm not aware of to per-target kernel config or
>> do you have any thoughts to support such a thing?
> Since we build all devices of a subtarget with the same kernel image, a
> per-device kernel config is not going to happen.

Tim, you might take a look at my 'buildme' scripts.  It provides a way to
create custom configurations and build from them fairly easily.  So far,
it does not seem like something that is wanted upstream, but perhaps
some day that will change.

https://github.com/greearb/lede-source-ct

I haven't synced up with upstream in a few days so that repo is a bit
behind...

Thanks,
Ben

--