[LEDE-DEV] ubi-auto-create-ubiblock-device-for-rootfs and mtd-qcom-smem-rename-rootfs-ubi patches not working for me

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Sep 1 03:05:19 PDT 2016

Hi J,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 07:23:43PM -0700, J Mo wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I know there was recently some traffic on the list here about UBI and
> mounting rootfs. I caught some of it, but not all of it. Please pardon me if
> these are already known issues or this doesn't add anything useful to the
> conversation.
>

> I am working on getting the TRENDnet TEW-827DRU booting LEDE. The device
> uses the ipq8064 SoC and NAND flash with a UBI (kernel + squashfs-rootfs +
> ubifs-overlay). The bootloader is u-boot and while it *might* be possible to
> modify the u-boot parameters (bootcmd= and bootargs=), I am currently
> working on the assumption that I have to ignore them.
>
> Another oddity/problem with my device is that the NAND smem partition table
> has the UBI partition named "rootfs". There is also a patch related to this,
> but it also does not seem to be working
> (302-mtd-qcom-smem-rename-rootfs-ubi.patch).
>
> Currently I am putting my kernel arguments into the DTS as my bootargs. It
> looks like this:
>
> bootargs = "console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 ubi.mtd=11 ubi.block=0,1
> root=/dev/ubiblock0_1 rootfstype=squashfs";

Mind to share your DTS as well?

> If I don't include the ubi-related commands, the kernel doesn't even mount
> the UBI and fails to boot. I get the feeling that some of the patches which
> should auto-mount that UBI are not working for me.
>
> I am getting this error, even when my system successfully boots:
>
> UBI error: block: can't add 'rootfs' volume, err=-17
>
> Which seems to be coming from
> 491-ubi-auto-create-ubiblock-device-for-rootfs.patch
>

> Should I bug these? Already known issues? Comments?

The current approach to mount the rootfs is based on a naming
convention. The mtd partition to be auto-attached has to be named
'ubi', the UBI volume used as rootfs has to be named 'rootfs'.
Then things should work auto-magically for both, squashfs and ubifs.

Cheers

Daniel