[LEDE-DEV] enhanced 3G support

Matti Laakso matti.laakso at outlook.com
Mon Nov 28 00:50:29 PST 2016

Hi,

> Dear All,
> I currently add supprt for the dwr-512 device on LEDE.
> This device have a 3G modem embedded.
> The current available configuration uses the usb-option to establish the 3G
> connection over ppp.
> Nevertheless the modem offer one cdc-ether interface with better
> performance.
>
> It seems to me that currently this kind of "protocol" is not supported in
> LEDE.
> In particular I'm unable to found an interface type in the
> /etc/config/network to setup this kind of connection.
>
> Currently I'm able to establish a connection setting the interface in
> "manual" mode.
>
> To do this I setup an usb interface
>
> config interface 'wan3g'
>         option ifname 'usb0'
>         option proto 'dhcp'
>
> then I need to send manually the following command to the /dev/ttyUSB0 to
> establish the 3G connection:

Please use the existing ncm protocol for this. It shouldn't matter that the actual module used is cdc_ether instead of cdc_ncm. You just need to add the correct commands to the ncm.json file under a new object with the manufacturer name that is taken from the output of the ATI-command. I can help you with the details if needed. I would assume that the AT-commands with the question mark at the end are not actually needed to bring this online?

Best regards,
Matti