[LEDE-DEV] can I have some feedback about a wrapper to call initscripts

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Mon Nov 21 11:33:30 PST 2016

I personally think that calling initscripts by giving the full path
looks like a ugly hack, and is also inconvenient (for me anyway).

Example:

# /etc/init.d/network restart

So I made a simple wrapper script that allows to call initscripts in a
shorter way, and if the initscript name is misspelled or if the wrapper
is called without arguments it will list all available init scripts in
the /etc/init.d folder.

With the wrapper the above would become:

# service network restart

I posted a PR with it https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/545

But I'm getting answers I don't understand.

John Crispin nack-ed because it is "call delegation" (and because formal
errors in place/title).

Mathias Kresin nack-ed saying it is "bloat" because "lede is for
embedded systems not for user systems".

I mean, we have Luci and uci user interfaces already in LEDE, why is
this simple 5-line script wrapper to call initscripts wrong?

-Alberto