[LEDE-DEV] Release Preparation Questions

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat Nov 19 06:32:28 PST 2016

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently on working on automating the required steps to cut a
> proper release - in order to make this process as standardized and
> repeatable as possible, I intend to script any required steps to avoid
> the need for manual setup tasks as much as possible.
>
> Ideally I want to reach a point where one runs a "make_release.sh" with
> just two arguments: a release number and a code name.
>
> In order to achieve that goal, we must ensure that any related resources
> like download URLs, Git repositories etc. are using predictable names
> which can be constructed from the version number (or the nickname) alone.
>
> Below is a list of things I'd propose for automating release cutting,
> please let me know if you agree or think otherwise.
>

> REPOSITORY PREPARATION
>
> 1) Branch "source.git" and name it "lede-$version"
>
> 2) In the used package feeds, branch "lede-$version" and use it

does it really make sense to make a branch instead of just tagging commits? Is
there really an expectation that there will be different changes in a release
branch vs the mainline (especially for feeds, I can see an argument for the
lede source in that you may backport some fixes into a release branch)

Other than this, it looks reasonable.

David Lang