[LEDE-DEV] FCC killing open platforms and inovations

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at open-mesh.com
Thu Nov 17 01:49:01 PST 2016

Hi Russell,

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:32:23 AM CET Russell Senior wrote:
> Simon> You are right, the FCC doesn't explicitly requires to prevent
> Simon> third-party firmware loading anymore. However, they still require
> Simon> to explain how a vendor makes sure that US RF limits are not
> Simon> violated [1]. Since a third-party firmware can be anything
> Simon> including a firmware with a patched ath9k where DFS is disabled
> Simon> etc, we (as Open-Mesh) can't really prevent that those RF limits
> Simon> are violated.  Thus we can not give a convincing explanation
> Simon> there, and the situation stays the same.
>
> Simon> If you have any constructive idea, I would love to propose it
> Simon> internally.
>
> Am I correct that since all 802.11ac radios (such as those supported by
> ath10k, etc) require firmware blobs, that solves the FCC problem?
>
> It is only the 100 million existing already-sold devices that will still
> be able to interfere with the radars? ;-)

No, firmware (at least in ath10k) doesn't solve the problem. You can still set
a country code, DFS pattern matching is still done in the host-side driver
part (and not in the firmware), and you can still disable radar detection.

In my personal opinion, binary blob firmware (at least as its used today) just
creates more problems regarding open-ness that it could possibly solve.

Cheers,
      Simon