[LEDE-DEV] Flashing AP148 ubi file?

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Sun Nov 6 05:44:45 PST 2016

On 11/05/2016 11:55 PM, Christian Mehlis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received a Compex WPQ864, which is almost a AP148 board.
>
> Can someone document how to flash a dot ubi file (generated from lede
> build) to an AP148 (ipq8064)?
>
> I'm optimistic that this will work for the WPQ, too.
>
> I hope to provide lede board support for this "new" board.
>
> Regards,
> Christian

*.ubi files generated by the build system are flashable by bootloader or
whatever, they don't need special tools to be written to flash.
(they are NOT generic though, they are prepared to be flashed on the
flash type used in that device, so make sure the flash chip is the same
or has similar/same specs to the one in AP148)

You need to be sure that the bootloader can still find the kernel (i.e.
look at the makefile in the /image folder of that architecture to see if
the kernel is appended to the image or inside a ubifs).
*.ubi images may place the kernel inside a ubifs partition (with the
rest of the firmware), while most stock bootloaders expect the kernel
flashed to raw nand.

If you are testing initial support, it is usually better to use the
bootloader's tftp to transfer the LEDE kernel image in RAM from your PC
and then trying to boot it from RAM. After it boots fine you can try
making a firmware image for it.

More information about ubi/ubifs here
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html
and here (a bit more friendly)