[LEDE-DEV] Setting packages in Image building config

Adrian Panella ianchi74 at outlook.com
Mon Jul 4 10:56:00 PDT 2016

Hi, I'm a bit confused by the image building options.
Can anyone explain what is the difference of setting necessary packages in:
- DEFAULT_PACKAGES := in target's makefile
- PACKAGES := in Profile/Default, inside image/makefile
aren't both applied to all devices?

If it were working, what can be specified in:
- DEVICE_PACKAGES := in Device/xxxx, inside image/makefile
I believe that all devices in a target shared the same kernel, so no
packages that select anything at kernel level?

I couldn't find much documentation on the topic of the new image building
options.