[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] Talks between OpenWrt and LEDE

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Wed Dec 21 13:46:29 PST 2016

On 12/21/2016 09:42 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Kathy Giori wrote:
>>
>>> From a PR perspective, I strongly suggest keeping the term OpenWrt as
>>> part of the branding of the project moving forward. It can just be
>>> cosmetic (web site, etc.) but the name has so much history, and
>>> positive connotation, that you don't want to lose that brand attached
>>> to the development moving forward.
>>

>> I agree, I think this is an obvious choice to make. OpenWRT has a lot of
>> name recognition, it would be foolish to throw that away.
>
> Just to take the other side for rhetorical purposes, a purpose of a
> re-branding exercise is to show a change in the "product" or
> organisation behind it. OpenWrt is widely known... as a bleeding edge,
> sometimes unstable, somewhat hard to use 3rd party firmware. DD-Wrt
> and Tomato get a lot more press for some reason. So do things like
> Yocto. If lede were to succeed in meeting its other goals, coherently,
> preserving "lede" and moving forward as a separate project does make
> sense.

+1 for this. OpenWRT brand isn't 100% positive recognition, it has some
downsides too. Many people (I know and/or have seen around the internet)
were discouraged from contributing or using it due to the weaknesses of
OpenWRT project.

I like more the LEDE branding for this reason. It conveys that it is
significantly different, possibly for the better, from OpenWRT project.

But I don't have enough information to say for sure what is the better
brand to keep, so this is just my opinion.

-Alberto