makedumpfile: a feature question about filtering

HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) k-hagio-ab at nec.com
Fri Sep 11 04:53:31 EDT 2020

Hi Pingfan,

-----Original Message-----
> Hello,
>
> There is an appeal which only wants to save some user page including env
> and args pages, and discards the other user space pages.

I understand that it's helpful to get them even with -d 31 for crash's
"ps -a" option..

> To achieve this feature, mm_struct's members "arg_start, arg_end,
> env_start, env_end;" should be accessed. So we need to export mm_struct
> and init_mm through vmcore.

How many offsets/sizes will be required to walk all tasks?
If kernel maintainers accept it, I will not oppose that feature..

(or it would be simpler to mark the pages something special when allocating,
but I don't feel like it's easy to change kernel to do so.)

Thanks,
Kazu