kexec on panic

Clif Houck me at clifhouck.com
Wed Feb 15 09:29:32 PST 2017

Is it possible to kexec on demand (not panic!) into another kernel with
the idea being to avoid a reboot?

For instance, say you had Linux running in a ramdisk, and all that
ramdisk Linux did was lay down a bootable Linux image onto the main
disk, and then awaited a command to kexec to the Linux image on disk? Is
something like that possible? Would I still need to specially craft the
initrd? If so, is there any literature available on how to do that?

Thanks,
Clif Houck