crashkernel reservation failed - No suitable area found

Jay Lan jay.zen.lan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:06:26 EST 2013

Hi,

I searched the web on this subject, and found a discussion thread
on this matter back in March 12, 2012:
     https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/13/36
and it seems I hit the same problem on my machine. :-(

We have a system with 4TB memory. When it was shipped, crashkernel
was set to 512M. The crashkernel memory reservation was successful,
but dumping core ran out of memory.  The system runs sles11sp2,
3.0.51-0.7.9.1.

After I tried to raise the reserved memory to 896M, the system started
to fail reserving the requested memory, even after I set it back to 512M:
     crashkernel reservation failed - No suitable area found

Is there a kernel/kexec-tools patch to address this problem in kernel 3.x
yet? Also, according to Takashi Iwa wrote, "the problem does not happen
always. However, once this happens, it continues to happen" :-(
Yes, yes, it drove me completely crazy trying to figure out how to get the
system out of this trapped state! Please help!

Thanks for any help!

Jay