makedumpfile --dump-dmesg option broken on 3.5 kernels and later

Bouchard Louis louis.bouchard at canonical.com
Tue Jan 22 08:52:09 EST 2013

Hello Kumagai-san,

Following a suggestion from Dave Anderson, I have tested the
makedumpfile --dump-dmesg option. After some research, I realized that
the option was no longer working on 3.5 kernel and later. Here is an
example of the result (on Ubuntu Quantal) :

# makedumpfile --dump-dmesg /proc/vmcore /tmp/dmesg
dump_dmesg: Can't find some symbols for log_buf.

makedumpfile Failed.

On 3.5 kernel and later, the log_end symbol no longer exists.

This is caused by the change from byte-buffer structure to
variable-length record buffer of the kernel log buffer introduced by
this commit :
	http://goo.gl/NCgLI

I am curious to know if you were aware of this change and if you had
done some work on modifying dump_dmesg() accordingly ? Just so I don't
go off and try to work on something that you have already solved.

Kind regards,

...Louis
--
Louis Bouchard