KEXEC on ARM Cortex-A15 versatile express V2P

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:58:24 EST 2012

Hi,

On 14.12.2012 18:33, Naresh Bhat wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I really appreciate your help.
>
> I have tried the following in my below setup

Your should really fix your mailer. The way you quote makes it
impossible to see which lines you added.

> My setup:
> kexec-tools - latest GIT tree with
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-December/007526.html
> patch
> Kernel version -   3.4.22

Why are you running a kernel from the middle ages?

> Hardware target -  V2P-CA15_A7 Cortex A15 (ARM Versatile Express)
>
> That could be just that the new kernel is missing its bootargs cmdline
> with the appropriate console= tag. How are you booting the first
> kernel?
>
> The first kernel command line console=tty0 console=ttyAMA0,38400n8
> root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait ro mmci.fmax=6000000
>
> Does you bootloader add a /chosen tag?
>
> I did't understand what you are asking here .  can you please
> elaborate little more ?

Bootloaders have two ways of passing the command line to the kernel. The
traditional way is to stuff it into a a linked list of boot parameters
(ATAGs), the other is to fill the /chosen/bootargs property in the
device tree and then pass the entire tree.

> Some suggestions:
>
> 1. Add a static CMDLINE to the second kernel, so it doesn't rely on
> that information being passed from the first on.
>
> root at arm-cortex-a15:~#  kexec -l uImage --dtb=vexpress.dtb
> --command-line="console=tty0 console=ttyAMA0,38400n8
> root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait ro mmci.fmax=6000000"
> root at arm-cortex-a15:~# kexec -e
> Starting new kernel
> Uncompressing Linux...

If that doesn't work, your problem is not related to any cmdline issue,
and I might have midlead you here.

Please try a newer kernel and see if that helps. The kernels I was using
with kexec recently were 3.7-rcX.

HTH,
Daniel