rhel5.6 kdump initrd problem?

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 10:30:08 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 09:08:42AM -0400, Don Zickus wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:38:28AM -0700, Jay Lan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a system running 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel.
> > The kexec version is kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5_6.6.
> >
> > The kernel was booted OK. Then it ran /etc/init.d/kdump
> > and a new kdump initrd image was created.
> > A kernel crash was triggered. The kdump kernel was booted
> > alright. However, it failed to boot when it tried to boot
> > back the regular kernel (now with the kdump initrd image
> > specified in the menu.lst.)
>
> Not sure why you would see the kdump initrd image in the menu.lst, it is
> just a parameter sent to kexec.

Its actually not even passed to kexec, we build the initrd using the output of
uname -a, or override it manually with an option in /etc/sysconfig/kdump.  We
don't ever mount the /boot partition, so /boot/grub/menu.lst shouldn't be
accessible for re-writing.

> You might have more success filing a Red Hat bz (bugzilla.redhat.com), as
> the RHEL-5 kernel and kexec-tools are probably too old for discussion on
> this list.

Agreed, initramfs construction is a distro specific operation, the upstream
project doesn't contain bits on how to do that.
Neil