kexec 2.0.2 MIPS

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Tue Sep 20 04:51:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 08:14:21PM +0000, ANDY KENNEDY wrote:
> Guys, sorry for the long lines on that last e-mail attempt.
> I, unfortunately, have to use LookOut at work.  This is a
> better formatted message:
>
> Attempting to make kexec work for Mips32r2.  2.0.1 works, 2.0.2
> doesn't.  Looking through the differences of the arch/mips folders
> I find that there is a reference to an extern simple_setup_start.
> In 2.0.1 this appears to be referencing asm code from the file
> simple_setup_start.S, however, in 2.0.2 I cannot find the
> referenced location.
>
> Is this the reason that I cannot get a Linux kernel to boot using
> 2.0.2 using the same command line as the 2.0.1?

Hi Andy,

I'm a little unsure why it is that your platform broke between 2.0.1
and 2.0.2. And I'm even less sure what simple_setup_start is/was
(I don't see it in 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 or the current master branch).

However, I do have a few suggestions.

1. Is it possible for you to try the latest development tree?
   It is available at git://github.com/horms/kexec-tools.git while
   kernel.org is on holidays.

2. If that doesn't work is it possible for your to perform a git
   bisection between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3? I don't imagine that should
   take a great deal of time.

I have also CCed Matt Evans who made some of the few changes
that touched MIPS code between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3.