[Patch 1/4][kernel][slimdump] Add new elf-note of type NT_NOCOREDUMP to capture slimdump

K.Prasad prasad at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 5 05:23:50 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 09:33:13AM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:48:44PM +0530, K.Prasad wrote:

> > > Prasad,
> > >
> > > I am just trying to remember what was wrong with Andi's approach of
> > > disable MCE while copying the dump?
> > >

> > Hi Vivek,
> > 	The behaviour upon a read operation on an UC memory location is
> > undefined and so we want to avoid it (previously discussed here:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1146799). When we disable
> > MCE and copy the dump, we will invariably read the faulty memory
> > location.
>
> Right, from the message above:
>
> "- To disable MCE exceptions as done by the patches cited above. However
>   the result of a read operation on corrupted memory is unknown and the
>   system behaviour is undefined. We're unsure if this is a safe thing to
>   do."
>
> Can you elaborate more on that? Are we talking poisoned memory here or
> undetected and uncorrectable memory errors?

It refers to uncorrected memory errors that are not consumed and the
corresponding 'struct page's are marked PG_hwpoison. Typically the SRAO
type errors that are handled in mm/memory-failure.c.

If MCE is enabled, during a kdump, we will deliberately trigger a read
operation over the poisoned memory and make the UCE fatal. It is not
clear what would happen if MCE is disabled in the above case.

Thanks,
K.Prasad