kdump without the kexec

Lei Wen adrian.wenl at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:33:45 EDT 2011

Hi,

Is there any existed solution that could make the kdump without the kexec?
For some kind of system hang, always hardware bug, or software deadlock, which
could not trigger the kernel oops, so that the first kernel cannot
load the second kernel
with kexec tool. The only way here is to directly press the reset key.

We could be assure that the ddr memory would not be corrupted by this
way of reset
(for we don't shutdown the ddr power during the reset). So my question
is that whether
we could take use of bootloader, like the u-boot, to pretend we are
after the reset behavior and then perform the kdump process?

Best regards,
Lei