In place kexec

Khalid Aziz khalid_aziz at hp.com
Fri Jul 30 17:44:58 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 21:18 +0000, Aziz, Khalid wrote:
> There were some discussions regarding this and this code was removed by
> the time it was merged into mainline kernel. I can't remember the
> details of why. I remember one report of kernel hang on kexec that
> seemed to happen in device_shootdown(). I will look for any discussion
> threads I can find.

These are the messages I could find discussing the code that disables
PCI Master bit, before the code doing that was removed from ia64 tree:

<https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/fastboot/2006-June/010175.html>
<https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/fastboot/2006-June/010176.html>
<https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/fastboot/2006-June/010178.html>
<https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/fastboot/2006-June/010214.html>

May be it is time to revisit this, for more than just ia64.

--
Khalid
Khalid Aziz                             Telco Platform Software, ISB

"The Linux kernel is subject to relentless development"
                                - Alessandro Rubini