[rfc] Merge kexec-tools into the kernel tree

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Aug 4 03:34:29 EDT 2010

Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> After all the excitement of relocating kexec-tools from
> one location on kernel.org to another last week it was
> suggested to me by Michael Neuling that the merging
> kexec-tools into the kernel tree would be a good idea.
>
> Given that there have been a bunch of issues with kexec
> on power that this would resolve. and there is precedence
> for tools in the kernel tree, this sounds entirely reasonable to me.
> So with my kexec-tools maintainer hat on, I would like to start
> a conversation about this.

What are the issues with kexec on power?  Did someone fail to maintain
ABI compatibility?

The interface isn't even supposed to be linux specific, so I can't
imagine what would motivate moving this into the kernel tree.

I'm afraid that someone has a good answer for why their lives would be
simpler if /sbin/kexec was in the kernel tree and I will be absolutely
horrified and about someones stupidity when I hear that answer.

Eric