/var/log/messages doesn't have crash info when kernel gets panic/oops/crash

Dharmosoth Seetharam dseetharam at inbox.com
Sat Jun 13 09:24:09 EDT 2009

Thanks.
So, if panic_on_oops set with 0(default), we will get all the
needed info like stack traces, bug info etc. in /var/log/messages then reboots.

Or do we need to apply any specific patches to get info in /var/log/messages?

>>> 2) Have you tried a dry run and confirmed you can get a crash dump?
>>
>> No, I haven't tried this.
>
> It sounds like you have not been getting the coredumps when problems
> happen.  Running a simple test run to  Alt-sysrq-c to confirm
> that things are basically setup ok is a good idea.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
I have gave dry run and confirmed that the dumps are getting saved in particular dir and able to analyze.

I did in both the ways like
1 - echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger
2 -Alt -sysrq -c

thanks,