Problems writing ELF dumps with makedumpfile 1.2.9

Ken'ichi Ohmichi oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp
Tue Sep 30 22:18:22 EDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

Worth, Kevin wrote:
> I've attached the log files from running strace.
> Hopefully they contain some clue as to where this failure is occurring.
> I tried specifying -d30 and it still failed. Both traces attached.

Thank you for some log files.

vmcore-d30.log:
  open("/proc/vmcore", O_RDONLY)          = 4
  [snip]
  lseek(4, 2885288664, SEEK_SET)          = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

Your system has 4GB memory, and /proc/vmcore size is almost 4GB, right ?
If yes, the above lseek() should *not* fail because the offset (almost 2.7GB)
is in /proc/vmcore. So I guess that this problem is due to a kernel.

Please try copying /proc/vmcore by `cp` command, and check whether the
size of copied file is the same as /proc/vmcore.

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi