Fwd: Kexec support for PS3 (ppc64)

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Mar 11 21:40:46 EDT 2008

Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:
> Geoff Levand wrote:

> I was wondering about bringing in the printf() code from purgatory
> and using that to print info about what's going on in the kexec code.
> The standalone printf() might come in handy in other places; Ex: kgdb
> stub. If it was in a library it could also be used during kernel
> decompression to inform on problems occurring, like checksum errors.

When the first stage kernel goes down it releases all hypervisor
resources so that whatever boots next can successful open those
resources.  The frame buffer is one of those resources that are
released, and after it is, there will be no more output to the
display until the second stage image brings up its display.  It
is not a matter of adding print statements or string formatting.

-Geoff